Friday, July 8, 2022

That Pesky Free Will

What was I thinking?? These photos are along the way of my bicycle to work commute. And I was whining?? 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️ That pesky Free Will....
It's Friday. I wanted to ride my bike to work, but yesterday my legs got so dirty and there is the one mile of washboards that shake my teeth, and the uphill boulder section... yes, I was whining. So, I decided to take the highway. It's graded. It's flat. I've seen other people do it! It'll be easy! As I came to the intersection and a semi flew by me, I prayed, "God? Is this a good idea?" He said, "It's your choice." So, I forged ahead with my easy plan.

There are things you just don't notice when driving like the edge of the pavement has a 6" drop off at best. There is no escape route. Semis will always be passing an oncoming car when they pass you. It was a perilous journey. I pedaled harder and faster than I normally would. My legs ached. I was out of breath. My arms were tense, and my teeth hurt from clenching them the whole way!
So, what did I miss by taking the easy way? The pleasure of a beautiful morning. There was no mountain view, no cheerful creek, no peace, no thoughtful time in prayer, not a speck of joy! Sure, that way can be bumpy, a little messy, hard work, and sometimes I've been bruised, but it always, always is rewarding and refreshing.

What was the cost of my choice? What did I gain from the easy way? I gained a lesson for sure. The route was 2 miles shorter so I went 10 miles instead of 12. Was it worth it? It was 5 minutes shorter.  Again, was it worth it?  I was exhausted and on edge not invigorated and ready for work. Now, none of this surprised God. He knew my choice wouldn't be satisfying, but He also knew I wouldn't be satisfied without learning the lesson. How often do I think there is an easy way out and complain about the road ahead? 

As humans, we suffer so much from what ifs or greener grasses or a manufactured sense of dissatisfaction. God lovingly allows us to make those choices, and patiently takes us back under His wing when we turn back to Him.  The true travesty is not recognizing when we have gone rogue.  When we refuse to return to the guidance of the Creator of the Universe who knows and sees all things. He knows what I don't and sees what I can't so why stubbornly and willfully do I insist on my own way? Oh yeah, it's that guy... the one whispering in your ear that it's what you want that matters, its how you feel/identify that's most important, it's all about you and after all, you deserve the easy path. Your way and personal view are all that matter. 

Seems condemning to be reminded of "Thy Will be done." Yet, God doesn't condemn. He loves. He welcomes. 2 Corinthians 2:11 reminds us if we are listening to God instead ourselves, "that Satan will not outsmart us. For we are familiar with his evil schemes." Walking with God may not seem the easiest path, but the things I missed on my ride this morning, peace, joy, safety, contentment, He freely offers. Listen and choose wisely and most of all, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take." Proverbs 3:5,6

No comments:

Post a Comment